Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Gardening, House Building, and Tree Planting in Minecraft

I planted my first garden in Minecraft today.  It took a few tries to figure out how to use the iron hoe properly, taking off the top layer of dirt rather than obliterating the entire block.  First, I crafted a bucket in order to have water where I needed it. Then I planted pumpkins, wheat, carrots, and melons.  I know how dorky this is, but it was actually thrilling to see the fruits of my digital labor!


I also decided to add a cobblestone facade and wool flooring to my house.  Once again, the dorkiness of my morning was high, but I can see why kids love this game.



Lastly, while planting seeds and thinking about the bread I made from the wheat I planted, I started wondering about the trees I'd pillaged to build my house.  In the process, I learned about saplings, which sometimes fall from trees when you cut their leaves.  I have planted my first sapling, but will have to wait and see whether it likes the spot I chose.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I have the same thrill - I enjoy gardening in real life but it's so much faster in Minecraft. Seeing the little sheaves of wheat pop out when the wheat plants have matured - dorky, perhaps, but very satisfying...

    I liked your concern about sustainability. This is a concept I like to pursue with students - as in yes, you can go ahead and kill off the sheep/pigs/cows or clear cut the forests but what happens when you don't have anymore? How about learning how to breed/grow them or in the case of sheep, learn to shear them. This is also a significant area of interest for teachers who teach with Minecraft. There are a number of worlds from the MinecraftEdu World Library that have a sustainability theme to them.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Dorkiness does not even come close to describing you! You're not at that level by any means!

    I spent three hours last night wandering through and getting hooked. Here's how "bad" it was for me: I dreamt about it MULTIPLE times last night! I have also grown a bit, and it comes up fast. I have grown a number of trees, of a variety, and they were up within maybe an hour so you could harvest them.

    I have also been searching through the Minecraft Wiki and various YouTube videos to figure out how to accomplish different things. I am working on a boat next. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete