Friday, June 10, 2016

GIMP Photo Editor (Jokaydia Grid)

Upon the recommendation of Paul Skowhegan, I downloaded Gimp, an open-source photo editor, to start learning how to make avatar clothes from a template.

Following directions from a video tutorial that I found, I started experimenting and was able to create my first customized t-shirts and later a couple of skirts (with mixed results).

This t-shirt, featuring an open-source Bavarian crest, was my first creation.  My family thinks it looks terrifying, especially when paired with a matching skirt;but, I love it!



I had better luck with this funky sequin and lace skirt.


Robin Wood Template
Shading Layer
Lace Layer

Sequins Layer

I also made this leopard skirt, which prompted my friend, Laurie, to bust out her "paleo diva" look. Some of her students designed "paleo diva" clothes for a fashion show!
"Paleo Divas"

Update:  
This is the first REAL skirt that I've ever made.  All of this inworld designing made me want to make something real.  I just put the finishing touches on it today, Thursday 23 June, 2016!




3 comments:

  1. Jill, you are a great clothing designer. I admire your virtual seamstress skills. You blog is visually attractive as well. I am going to make note of this site. Maybe I can try my hand at a little inworld clothing design. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome designing skills, Jill. Do you think that virtual world can replicate something that will look like a fashion show? It's worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmanuel, other teachers have had students create virtual fashion shows, such as Paul Skowhegan, so I'm sure it could be done. I'm not sure how I'd personally incorporate a virtual fashion show into my instruction, unless students were designing clothing for a purpose. Maybe, they could design clothes for a historical character they're studying; I've seen examples of people who are interested in creating historically accurate clothing reproductions for their avatars (such as Marie Antoinette's gowns). Or, students might create modern day superheros based on imagined superpowers that they incorporate in their own original stories, or examples of human rights heroes, with clothing that relates to their actual achievements. Or, in a history class, students might showcase their understanding of clothing styles in different decades, such as the evolution of mens' and women's fashions over time.

      Delete