Sunday, June 26, 2016

Historical Role Play: Whitehall, England 1666 (Second Life)

Searching for in-world historical simulations related to the French Revolution, I discovered Historical Communities and Royal Courts of Second Life and Other Virtual Worlds.   In addition to reading about an in-world replica of Marie Antoinette's personal retreat, the Petit Trianon, I found a role play of interest on the "Events" page titled "Living Statues:  A Performance by the King's Company 1666" that was slated to happen that day!  This led me to the Royal Court of Whitehall, a simulation of Restoration era London, 1666, that you can read about on their blog.

The intended audience for this sim appears to be history buffs, as the location is a digital museum with note cards, broadsides, realistic artifacts, and role plays that convey information about the time.

Upon arrival, I received notification of the rules, stipulating that visitors were welcome to explore and observe.  I noticed an application to join a future role play as well as some free "bows and courtesies" for my avatar.


I teleported to the Queen's Stairs first, discovering beautiful artwork, including a famous portrait of Queen Elizabeth I.  Courtly furnishings begged to be lounged upon, and the walls and ceilings made me grateful I'd mastered my camera controls.



While in the area, I visited a dining room, a theater, and several other ornately detailed palace spaces, including a historic courtyard with references to Oliver Cromwell and the beheading of King Charles I (1649).



 

Not too soon after I'd plummeted to the bottom of the English Channel, in an effort to get a better view of a 17th century ship, a woman named Margaritte sent me a chat, formally inviting me to attend the upcoming performance.  She sent me a teleport to the theater where the role play would be taking place.  I later watched her perform on stage.

I met Margarite, who told me about her group's mission.
Realistic details abounded.

The performance, a tableaux of ancient statues of the classical world to honor King Charles II, was interesting to observe, even if a bit on the slow side.   It was an interesting way to interact with history, though, more entertaining than reading note cards.

What was remarkable about this performance was that these avatars moved (nearly imperceptibly), throughout the show.  The chat window also offered a script of the action as it took place.

A pivotal scene in the tableau where a character lost his fig leaf.

I would give Whitehall 1666 a four and a half-star rating.  The sim is incredibly detailed and the role play clever, but I found myself wishing there were more active things my avatar could do.

4 comments:

  1. Jill,
    That is so cool. This is just the type of virtual world I have been thinking about. I can't wait to explore and see what else is out there. Thanks for sharing what you have already done. It is, as always, very impressive. I know I have to do some exploring on my own, but I would love for you to send me the locations of the "cool" places you have been.

    Thanks so much!!

    TottenhamFan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe at what is out there in VL. Especially interesting is how each of us VL travelers chooses different adventures which cross pollinate subsequent travels. The worlds are often incredibly beautifully rendered and the amount of information simply staggering. Your particular wold is my next travel destination.
    Thanks so much. The muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Thank you! I so wish I'd seen this before I closed Whitehall last week, because aside from our dedicated staff and players, I wasn't sure if anyone else appreciated the months of work we put into it! Now I know someone did, thank you!! Steampunk Construct came up with the brilliant Living Statues concept for a performance, so she gets the credit for that! We had some really fine, creative minds at work here! Mmmmmwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I enjoyed visiting Whitehall and seeing that dazzling performance. I'm sorry that I didn't give you all direct feedback when you might have needed it most.

      Delete