Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Roma (Second Life)


Today, I visited the world of Ancient Roma, a historical replica including the Hippodrome, Roman Forum, a gladiator arena that allows combat in free costumes, and many other ornately detailed places.

Aerial View


Upon arrival to the custom's house, one is greeted by a friendly guard, a non-player character with travel tips and the offer of a free toga.

My arrival at the Custom's House

If you play the "Missing Egyptian" game, you'll pick up several scrolls and a lengthy, illustrated guide book with information about Rome. You'll also get a lot of free loot, such as clothing and sandals, which makes exploring the city feel more authentic.

The Missing Egyptian is  sub-plot about treachery and the threat of Barbarian hordes.

The intended audience is people over the age of 18 who are interested in learning more about history through exploration or by reading reading a lot of note cards.  There was so much information offered, when clicking on objects, that I felt a little overwhelmed trying to read and remember everything. But, the details and scenery were wonderful.

Reclining in a Pompeian tavern

I made chain mail and hammered an anvil in the smith's shop.

The second level of the Hippodrome has beautiful mosaic art.

The sim is large and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. After an hour of exploring, I felt like I still hadn't found everything.  In that time, I managed to visit the top of the Harbor Colossus, dress up like a gladiator, drive a chariot, charter a ferry, go for a swim, and hammer steel at the Vulcan forge. On another occasion, I attended an automated theater performance about Dionysus, visited a steaming Roman bath, and explored the Capitoline Museum.

Find weapons, a lion, and a moving ramp on the first floor of the Flavian Gladiator Arena.
You can race a chariot at the Hippodrome or use one to tour the sim.

I was greeted by several characters, including a couple of centurion guards and someone who worked for a senator.



The space has two websites connected, Romancitizens.com and the Romancitizens.blogspot.com.

This appears to be an active place advertising monthly activities (although some I found were from May).

As far as freebies go, I found quite a few, including several outfits, weapons, and pieces of furniture. There were so many freebies (some needing to be rezzed in a sandbox), that I will need to spend some time exploring my inventory if I'm to know what I got.

This location scores a five out of five rating for content, interactivity, authenticity, and generosity!


1 comment:

  1. This is quite impressive Jill. Am sure that if they get more traffic here, they might even try to recreate those famous concerts known to have taking place in the gladiator arena years ago.

    ReplyDelete