Monday, May 30, 2016

A Tour of my Sugar Skull House (Jokaydia Grid)

After losing all of the edits that I made to my steampunk house, I went back and tried again.  This time, I recorded a video of it, in case I accidentally mess this one up, too.


This got me thinking about how creating in this online world can help bring a story to life. Creating a character and designing a house or activities for it is a fun way to make the imaginary more concrete.


Taking screen shots or videos of ones online activities, and integrating them into other forms of media, could add layer of nuance and meaning to a narrative.


This world is a blank canvas for designing characters and settings.  I imagine that if given enough time, students who were interested in doing so could create avatars and settings to enact a scene from a book they've read or a story they've written.


Admittedly, this would require curiosity and drive.  Making the imagined visible could be a time-consuming endeavor that may not be achievable within the confines of a typical school schedule. Additionally, there may be other platforms that achieve the same results with a lower learning curve.


I like this screenshot of my avatar.  It reminds me of something that Dave B. wrote about in the forum, comparing Facebook to the online worlds we'll be exploring in this class.  I recognize that this image tells a story that I want to tell.  My avatar, chilling in her rollerskates (which she is allowed to wear in the house), is feeling rewarded for persisting through adversity.  In that way, I concede that dabbling in these online worlds may offer more than meets the eye.



No comments:

Post a Comment