Sunday, May 29, 2016

Learning to Build in Jokaydia Grid

I am spatially challenged.  This was made even clearer the day that I attempted to construct a cube out of puzzle pieces given to me for a building challenge.  After close to two hours, and several mishaps, I was finally successful at making a cube and saving it correctly.

My avatar with a cube I built

Since then, I've learned that in addition to making basic shapes, the "create" tool allows you to make trees and grass, too!  I "planted" a dogwood tree and a shrub near my storage unit.

Storage unit with the tree I planted


On another day, I found a notecard on campus with coordinates to a building area, as well as directions for how to personalize a structure.  


Following the directions on the notecard, I went to the Builder's Emporium and bought a house; I chose a pre-fab stucco house, which came in a box.


After acquiring a house, I teleported to an empty building platform, large enough for several peoples' structures.  I figured out that I needed to open up my box and save the contents to my inventory, before I could "rez" it.  Then, using the edit feature, I moved it near a corner to make room for others.


At first, I underestimated how far away from my avatar I should have placed the box containing my prefab house, because the structure covered me up completely when I opened it.  I deleted it and tried again.  The image below shows my basic house.  A box containing "textures" is on the left.  I chose steampunk textures to personalize every "face" of my digital house, including each wall, floor, and stair!



I had a great time imagining that I actually lived in a house with an ocean view and walls that I could change with the wave of my hand.


Here is the top view.  I love how industrial it looks.


I customized this interior "face" of my structure with sugar skull artwork and learned how to change the opacity and brightness of a "texture" imported from my computer.  I love this window!


Here are a few views of my inworld house, along with some furnishings!


Tessla Art on House

Steampunk House
Steampunk House

And here is the same house after I made a mistake that I couldn't undo!  I accidentally selected all of the faces of my house, instead of the one I was attempting to edit, undoing all of my previous design work.

Gah!




No comments:

Post a Comment