Friday, May 20, 2016

Initial Impressions (jokaydiaGRID)



Having gotten my dates mixed up, I arrived in jokaydiaGRID a day before our class meet-up.  While there, I met up with a classmate, Tottenheim Fan, and had my first conversation using the chat feature.

Since I assumed I was encountering a classmate, I wasn't as shy about initiating a conversation inworld as I might be in real life.






Later, I changed my avatar's appearance and went for a barefooted dip into a virtual lake. I found myself unexpectedly walking under water without any signs of fish life.

The more time I spent under the water, the more isolated I felt in this virtual world.  I was eager to get back to a more stimulating environment, so I teleported back to the start.



Our first group meet-up, which took place the next evening, ran in to some slow "rezzing," resulting in a lot of standing around.

I learned that I looked like a red cloud to at least one of my classmates.

Since I am a natural introvert and people watcher, I was keenly aware of my tendency to observe people's body language in order to ascertain clues about their thoughts and intentions. Looking at avatars doesn't offer nearly the same wealth of information. I could observe which avatars needed to be moving, and which ones felt most compelled to speak with their real voices, but I was distracted by my inability to rely on real-life visual cues.



After reviewing some tips about how the class should work, Dave B. and I teleported to Mars and started working on building a shelter.  I put my table building skills to work, but I'm ready to start learning some new skills in this world.






No comments:

Post a Comment